Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My sweet Aria stories ;-)


Matthew has taught Aria to show everyone her muscles... they call it the "gun show". He put his shirt on her after her bath (she probably requested it ;-) the other day, and then showed us her guns.

When I am working out, she calls what I am doing "tricks". The 1st time she said it, she said "mama, stop doing tricks!" Now, she does mama's tricks... lunges and squats.

We were at Mina's house, and her little dog, Edie, jumped up on the couch. Aria said "NO Edie! Get off the couch!" At our house, the dogs aren't allowed on the couch, but at Mina's house they are. We explained that the rules are different at Mina's house. Aria's little eyebrows went up, and her eyes got big, and she headed straight for the coffee table and climbed up on top of it. She's not allowed to get on the coffee table at our house, so since the rules were different at Mina's house, it must be OK! I tried not to laugh, and explained that not ALL the rules are different at Mina's house.

Her imagination is so much fun! She hands me imaginary things still ( I mentioned this before, I think) - but a few times, she handed me something, and I asked what it was, and she said "Uncle Chris and Emily". I thought... hmmm, now what do I do with them? If she hands you food, it will almost always be chocolate (which she adds a syllable to... cho-co-late (wait... IS that adding a syllable? I just say it Choc-late). I don't even think she knows what chocolate is (she started saying this after watching Willy Wonka - one of my all time fav movies!). She likes to pretend to cook something and feed it to you. I think the best one was when she fed me something, and I asked what it was and she said "snake"... I should ask BEFORE I eat it. She even has pretended her friend, Mia, was there, and was talking and playing with her.

She knows where most of her relatives live, now. Aunt Sonia is in Minnesota, Uncle Adam & Aunt Sarah are in California, Ahna & Papa are in Pennsylvania (and Aunt Kat, Uncle Jake, Aunt Alethea and Uncle Jeremiah). As I'm teaching her their locations, I'm thinking to myself.... do all of our relatives live in the states with the longest names? She says them well, though. She enunciates the syllables and even gives California an extra syllable (Cal-i-for-ni-a). I try to teach her a new one a day... guess what state we'll add tomorrow? Ar-i-zo-na... Seriously, can't SOMEone live in Georgia or something, and give the kid a break ;-)

I thought this was really cute... I was in the kitchen, and Aria was in the living room, where Chanson was in his carseat in the stroller (we were about to leave to go somewhere). I hear Aria doing the piggies with Chanson's toes "wee wee wee all the way home".

I heard Aria singing Happy Birthday to You" in her crib a few weeks ago (over the monitor). Not sure how she learned it bc we don't sing that one unless it's someone's birthday. Later, I sang it with her and stopped at the "happy birthday dear....." bc I wondered where she learned it, and thought whatever she filled in would help me figure it out. Well, she said "Jesus". I have asked everyone if they taught her that, and no one has... but every time she sings it, she says Happy B-day to Jesus. Very sweet!

I was thinking... she is now talking like a "person"... not that talking a lot makes you a person - but our conversations have gotten so much more involved and interesting. I love to hear what she is thinking and that she can tell me so well now! She noticed a nick in the wall today (I was surprised she noticed it) and she said "mama, what happened to the wall?" just like that. The whole sentence. Earlier in the day today, she was picking out her dancing dress to wear, and she said "but, mama, I HAVE a dancing dress on!" (her PJs were like a dress). It feels like she gets better with her vocab every day. Oh another one from today... we were in the car, and the sun got in her eyes, and she said "The sunshine is bright in my eyes."

She keeps telling me to "stop it!". I realized that I need to stop telling HER to stop it bc it doesn't sound very nice. When she says that to me now, I ask her to repeat it and say "mama, could you please not...(fill in blank)" She is doing much better ;-) and so am I.

Time outs are working well for her. She still "likes" them, so I'm not sure how it's punishment. Maybe it's just giving her a break, away from what she was doing wrong. She almost always stops doing what she was doing after time out. If not, she just keeps going into time out until she does. The other day, she was touching the toaster oven as she sat on the counter in front of me (she loves to "help" with whatever I'm doing and sit on the counter in the kitchen next to me). I told her NO - never touch the toaster oven (she was opening it). She wouldn't listen, so I said if she did it again, I was going to put her down and she couldn't sit on the counter. She did it again... so off she went. Then she walked to the wall and said "time out, right mama? 1- 2 - 3". OK... I never told her to go to time out, but since she was there... ;-) she finished out the 60 seconds and away she went. Hmmm....

I've mentioned before that she always says "God bless you" when someone sneezes. Well, the other day she was crying - hard. In the midst of her crying, Chanson sneezed. She stopped - midcry - and said (in a non-crying voice ... can we say she was fake crying!) "God bless you, Chanson" and then continued to "cry" as she left off. Drama already!

OH and one thing she does that I think is cute... when she asks a question, she ends it almost always with "right, mama?". For instance... "we're going to go see Grampa, right mama?" I don't know why, but I think it's really cute.

She sometimes calls Chanson "sweet baby", as though that is his name. "sweet baby come with, right mama?"

To end on a very sweet note... the other day we were reading books before bed, and Aria put both of her hands on my face and looked me directly in the eyes and smiled, and said "my mama". I just love that little girl!

3 comments:

Kat, the Mom said...

lol got on the coffee table! Ha, she's thinkin!!! Happy Birthday Jesus! Awesome!! :) Great talking Aria! :) and put herself in timeout, hilarious! and also so funny about bless you in mod-cry, Diella does same kind of stuff, two dramatic girls!? what ever will we do when we all live in the same area & these girls go to highschool together? Deep trouble!

Kat, the Mom said...

i meant mid-cry

Anonymous said...

hey!!! I have a one-syllable word for where I live...... the Slums.... there ya go, Aria.... Auntie Sonia lives in .... the slums!!!! or, you can say Auntie Sonia lives in a SHACK.... seeee???? you're not thinking hard enough....
Auntie Sonia